Obuasi SHTS wins maiden Sci-Tech Innovation Challenge

August 1, 2021
80 Views
19 Comments

After two days of competition, where the schools had to build their projects from scratch, Obuasi SHTS impressed the panel of judges with their Automated Sanitizing Station to be declared winners.

Their winning innovation was a complex system that utilized an ultrasonic sensor, an immersion water pump, an electromagnetic switch, and an Arduino to ensure minimal physical contact during sanitizing.

The winners, Obuasi SHTS, accrued 307 points and walked away with a whooping GH₵20,000 for the team (students and teacher), as well as GH₵10,000 worth of science equipment to the school.

For placing second with 293 points, Aggrey Memorial SHS earned GH₵17,000 for the team and GHC8,000 worth of science equipment to the school. Aggrey Memorial SHS’s innovation was a Health Assistant Robot designed to help deliver drugs and food to COVID-19 patients.

Prempeh College, who were the second runners-up with 290 points, were also awarded GH₵15,000 for the team and GH₵5,000 worth of science equipment to the school. COVSAM: Covid-19 Safety Protocols Station, was the innovation that earned them their slot.

With a berth of innovative ideas, the remaining seven schools each received a consolation prize of GH₵5,000 each with GH₵4,000 going to the team and the school receiving GHC1,000 worth of science equipment.

Ghana Secondary Technical School (GSTS) placed 4th with 289 points for their Smart Sanitizing Station, using ultrasonic sensors and robotics to automate handwashing and sanitizing.

In 5th place, Sunyani-based Don Bosco Technical Institute accrued 267 points for their Hand Washing Machine that utilized audio prompts to ensure that COVID protocols were properly ensured.

The only all-girls school to participate, Archbishop Porter Girls’ SHS, placed 6th with 262 points for “Archumidifier”, a steam humidifier designed to introduce moisture into the atmosphere which prevents the thickening of the mucus and helps the cilia to trap the COVID-19 virus.

The team from Wa-based Louis Rutten SHS designed the COVID-19 Protocols Assistant (CPA), another automated comprehensive sanitizing station, to earn 255 points and place 7th. Mfantsipim School placed 8th with 251 points for their e-learning platform named COVINFO.

Coming in 9th, Sekyedumase SHS managed to accrue 240 points for their Temperature Sensor/Automated Door. In 10th place, with 231 points, St. Thomas Aquinas SHS designed ‘Cashbot’, an automated money exchange system to reduce physical contact during transactions.

Speaking on behalf of the organisers, Mrs. Nana Akua Ankomah-Asare, the Managing Director of Primetime Limited thanked the sponsors, schools, and teachers for helping to make the programme such a success.

In her speech, she stated that the organisers hoped that “more institutions will come on board to support the Sci-Tech Fair in the coming years”.

The Sci-Tech Innovation Challenge was introduced after three editions of the Sci-Tech Fair had been held annually as mainly an exhibition platform for scientific and technological innovations from across the country.

The Challenge was designed to introduce a competitive element and increase the practical impact of the Sci-Tech Fair.

This year, the Sci-Tech Fair was decoupled from the National Science & Maths Quiz and merged with the Mentorship Sessions to birth the maiden edition of the STEM Festival, a month-long celebration of innovation and science.

The STEM Festival 2021 is proudly sponsored by Absa Bank Ghana Limited, with support from Academic City University College, Junior Camp Ghana, Joy News, Joy Learning, and YFM.

You may be interested

Awutu Senya West: NDC Youth Organiser attacked with cutlass over GH¢400 campaign cash
Politics
Politics

webby - September 17, 2021

It added that the money did not reach the youth organizer sparking tension between the two executives and led to…

JUST IN: Veteran actor dies of stroke
Politics
Politics

JUST IN: Veteran actor dies of stroke

webby - September 17, 2021

Advertisement Veteran Ghanaian actor Kofi Laing, popularly known as Kohwe, is dead. Comfort Laing, a daughter to the actor, confirmed…

GoldStone Resources loses some sparkle as Ghana govt eludes elution permission
Politics
1 views
Politics
1 views

GoldStone Resources loses some sparkle as Ghana govt eludes elution permission

webby - September 17, 2021

GoldStone Resources (AIM:GRL) Ltd shares lost some of their sparkle on Friday morning, falling 12% to 10p after revealing it…

19 Comments

1. There are some interesting cut-off dates in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There is some validity however I will take maintain opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish more! Added to FeedBurner as nicely

2. Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s really informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

3. Thank you for all your valuable labor on this web site. My aunt really likes participating in investigation and it’s really easy to understand why. We know all of the lively means you produce great ideas via your web blog and as well boost response from other ones on the concept then our own daughter is certainly discovering a lot of things. Have fun with the rest of the new year. You are always doing a first class job.

4. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is fantastic blog. A fantastic read. I’ll certainly be back.

5. I’m still learning from you, but I’m improving myself. I definitely enjoy reading everything that is posted on your blog.Keep the aarticles coming. I liked it!

6. wonderful put up, very informative. I ponder why the other experts of this sector do not realize this. You should continue your writing. I am sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

7. I’ll right away grab your rss feed as I can’t find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me know so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

8. Can I just say what a reduction to find somebody who truly knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know tips on how to bring a problem to mild and make it important. More individuals have to learn this and understand this facet of the story. I cant imagine youre not more fashionable because you undoubtedly have the gift.

9. you’re really a good webmaster. The site loading speed is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you’ve done a fantastic job on this topic!

10. I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You are incredible! Thanks!

11. Hi there this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

12. I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Outstanding work!

13. I do like the manner in which you have presented this difficulty and it does offer us some fodder for consideration. Nonetheless, because of what I have witnessed, I only wish as other remarks stack on that people stay on point and in no way embark on a soap box involving the news of the day. All the same, thank you for this outstanding point and whilst I can not necessarily go along with this in totality, I regard the viewpoint.

14. With the whole thing that appears to be building throughout this subject matter, your viewpoints tend to be relatively refreshing. Nevertheless, I am sorry, because I can not give credence to your entire strategy, all be it radical none the less. It seems to me that your comments are generally not completely validated and in actuality you are yourself not even fully certain of the point. In any case I did enjoy looking at it.